Mike Burchell, M Inst M.O is the Director of Burchell Consulting Limited, an exceptional consultancy company specialising in advising owners and operators, within both the public and private sectors in the operations and management of indoor and outdoor Retail markets, wholesale fruit and vegetable markets, fairs, street trading and speciality events.
During his time in the UK, he was a full member of the Institute of Market Officers qualified by examination, a member of the Institute of Market Officers Examination Council, and also represented the cities of Liverpool, Nottingham and Wolverhampton interests through the National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA) and has attended the World Union of Wholesale Markets (WUWM) congress biennially since 1993. He is also an Associate Member of the Action for Market Towns Organisation.
PUBLIC / PRIVATE SECTOR PARTNERSHIPS
Over 25 years local authority market management experience, working in the capacity of Markets Manager for: -
- Nottingham City Council
- Wolverhampton Metropolitan District Council
Previously employed within the private sector for Geraud Markets UK Limited in the capacity of Deputy Chief Executive, responsible for acquiring, advising and managing market contracts on a client basis for a number of local market authorities including, amongst others: -
- Allerdale District Council
- Chester Le Street District Council
- Chorley Borough Council
- Clevedon District Council
- High Peak Borough Council
- Liverpool City Council
- Mendip District Council
- Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council
- South Derbyshire District Council
Also responsible for overseeing the management of an annual continental and specialist markets programme involving more than 30 local authorities and town centre managers throughout the UK.return to top
RETAIL / WHOLESALE MARKET MANAGEMENT
Highly experienced in Retail / Wholesale Market Management. Responsible for re-designing / refurbishing a number of town centre retail markets, including: -
- The design and relocation of the Nottingham Wholesale Fruit, Vegetable and Flower Market, including finalising all trader negotiations relating to new long term leases.
- Redesign and Refurbishment of Victoria Indoor Market, Nottingham.
- Bulwell Town Centre Outdoor Market Redevelopment, Nottingham.
- Clifton Market Redevelopment, Nottingham.
- Hyson Green Market Redevelopment, Nottingham in conjunction with ASDA Superstore.
- Wolverhampton Town Centre Market Development.
- The new Great Homer Street Indoor Market, Liverpool. Responsible for the design layout of new market hall and facilitated trader negotiations for their relocation in conjunction with Liverpool City Council.
Responsible for establishing a number of new commercial Markets and Speciality events including amongst others: -
- Bilborough Retail Market, Nottingham
- Hyson Green Retail Market, Nottingham
- Clifton Retail Market, Nottingham
- Six Ways Retail Market, Nottingham
- Bank Holiday Medieval Markets, Nottingham
- Antique Markets - Bulwell Town Centre, Nottingham
- Flea Fairs - Hyson Green Market, Nottingham
- Sunday Car Boot Sale - Nottingham Racecourse (the largest in the East Midlands)
- National Pitcher of Year Competition - Old Market Square, Nottingham
- District Pleasure Fairs, Nottingham
- Continental Markets, UK wide
MARKET RE-DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
Experience in providing a range of services and advice to Town Centre Managers and Local Authorities on Town Centre Market Re-Development Projects relating to the design and relocation of Town Centre Retail Markets including amongst others:
- Contracted by Chesterfield Borough Council to prepare a detailed feasibility study including making recommendations on future investment on market infrastructure, future management daily operations and carried a review and made future recommendations of the overall current market design, operations and management procedures (2015).
- Market Management Specialist in the preparation of a comprehensive feasibility study for Leeds City Council on the proposed re-development of the historic Leeds Kirkgate Retail Market Hall (2012 - 2013).
- Carried out a comprehensive review within the Brighton and Hove Town Centre Regeneration Project, and advised on the design and market operations of the new London Road Market Re-Development (2007 - 2008).
- Designed the layout of the Indoor Market hall at Great Homer Street Market, Liverpool including new trader licensing negotiations Liverpool (2005).
STREET TRADING ISSUES
Involved in the development of policy initiatives and the delivery of key projects relating to the management and operation of street trading including providing specialist advice and recommendations to senior management, Licensing Committees and Council Members of local authorities.
MARKET LEGAL ADVICE
Former Full Member of the Institute of Market Officers by examination, and professionally qualified to offer market related legal advice to local authorities, private market operators and market traders on all aspects of local authority / private markets, landlord-tenant, market operator- trader relations, including advice on planning issues, market rights, market rules and regulations and general market operations.
BUSINESS PLANNING & FEASIBILTY STUDIES
Experienced in preparing business plans, feasibility studies and action plans in establishing or reviewing retail, wholesale and speciality street markets for public and private sector organisations.
Also experienced in the presentation of Business Plans / Feasibility Studies to relevant local authority committees and making recommendations on the future direction of local authority market related services.
CORPORATE HUMAN RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT (IIP / 1S0 9001)
Experienced in preparing, planning and implementing Corporate Human Resources Development for Investor in People Programmes and Quality Assurance Management ISO 9001 Procedures / Systems, including detailed work implementation plans and schedules to achieve accreditation status.return to top